Friday, January 11, 2008

MT - A Lingo delite!

It happened yesterday...When I was casually talking to my roomie, she specified that she had a chance to look at the dialects of 'Madras Bashai' in wikipedia and it was real fun to read. It triggered me to come up with a blog post...Hmm...Not on 'Madras Bashai' as I am not a Madarasi :) and I won't claim this as a fun post though. I was surprised to see huge volume of blogs on 'Madras Bashai' but not even one on 'Madurai bashai'. Madurai being my native, I thought I should write one for Maduraikaranunga...:) And, the effect is this....

When I write this, I remember my friends in college used to tease us (Madurai people) with the Tamil that we speak. The most popular one is 'angey' in prefix of the words like 'vandhutanga' where we pronounce it as 'Vandhutangey'. Some of my friends who are from Coimbatore, Namakkal, Karur side used to tell me that I don't speak tamil lines ending with 'nga' (with due respect). For example, I used to say 'aama' when some elderly people ask me a question for which my answer would be 'Yes'. For the same question, the above mentioned friends would have ended up saying 'Aamanga' or 'Aamango'. I would say each language has its own structure and it's noone's fault of speaking like that unless it's bad or vulgar. Another good example is: to ask 'what are they doing?' The related Madurai tamil line would be 'Enna panrangey aveenga?' It may sound funny for people who are from other tamil regions but it's how Madurai tamil gains its popularity.. :)

A few words to add to this list:
Anney (Anna - Brother)
Angittu (Anga - There)
Avingya (Avanga - They)
Aataya podu (Thirudu - Steal)
Yekka or Yakkov (Akka - Sister) - I know what people think of, when they read this :)
Ambuttuthan (Avlothan - That's it!)
Adi aathi (Ammadi - Oh!!! an exclamation)
Varuvomla (Varuvenla - I'll come..Will I not?)
Vandhuttomla (Vandhuttenla - See, i've come)

Although I am not well versed with all these words except for phrases ending 'ngey', I should agree that these are the words of the common population in the city.

Speciality of Madurai (other than what all the websites quote) - It's Jill...Jill...Jigardhanda...The cool drink (kulir banam) that you get one and only in Madurai....
There's no meaning for this word. If you get a chance to go to Madurai, please stop by and drink it! I want to confess one thing here, 'I have never tasted JJJ' :(

I guess I have covered most of the 'special' Madurai lingusitics :) Eppudi namma 'Madurai Tamil' blog postu??? My madurai tamil is (S)pe(a)eking out - Is it not? ;)

Source: Wikipedia
Images: Google

5 Comments:

At January 11, 2008 at 11:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats a very different and interesting blog Rekha! Do write more like this!

 
At January 20, 2008 at 11:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey what a blog!!!!!!
epadiyo madurai marakama irundha seri.

 
At January 21, 2008 at 6:06 AM , Blogger Raji said...

Sure Saranya..

 
At January 21, 2008 at 6:06 AM , Blogger Raji said...

Roopa, Pirandha mannai marakka mudiyuma? Never :)

 
At April 22, 2008 at 10:41 PM , Blogger sri said...

I was too looking for madrey tamil. nanum madrekaren than. Post patthaduku nandru

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home