Friday, April 3, 2009

The 'Musical' fe(a)te

I have the habit of starting the day with a devotional song and it's been 'kandha sashti kavacham' or 'Venkatesa subrapatham' most of the times played from my youtube quicklist every morning. I wanted to play some other song for a change today and there came 'Maha ganapathim' but it showed a picture of Shabana Azmi instead of Sivakumar. I was surprised and played that video to see what it actually was and where it came from. I must say that I was impressed by the music and the singing which led to watch the musical fe(a)te in the later part of the day as a movie.

Three lives - Abhinay's, Swarnalatha's and Priyanka's connected by the title of the post. Abhinay is an aspiring musician whose mother dies in a road accident when he was a kid. Priyanka is a business woman who helps her mother in her business and she sings at times. Priyanka loses her father in the same road accident where Abhinay had lost his mother. Swarnalatha is Abhinay's periamma and she's a versatile carnatic singer who lost her son when he was a kid in the same road accident. It's as simple as this - Abhinay comes to his native village to tell his dad Naser that he's going to form a music group which Naser resists by his looks. On the 'devasham' day Abhinay gets a chance to meet Swarnalatha and Priyanka where the musical journey begins and rest is the movie.

There's nothing great about the movie but I liked it for two main reasons - 1. The musical fusion at the end of the movie 2. A simple naration without any hullaballo. Now, on the various aspects of the movie:
1. Music - Usually when I watch movies, I just forward the songs except when I know that there are few songs that I like in the movie. There are only two movies in the recent past where I did not hit any button other
than a 'Play' - One is 'Rock On' and the other one is this movie which I am talking about. I am yet to explore on who sang the track 'Thaye Yasodha' in this movie but it was great listening to it
2. Cast - IMHO, Abinay was a decent looking guy who has performed his part as given. He reminded me of my favorite VVS Laxman at times :) Priyanka was good looking especially in those sarees but I did not like her voice. Swarnalatha (S Azmi) - a typical south indian mother look and I loved seeing her traditional wears - 'Mangalyam' and those cotton sarees and the thalai kuli towel :) Naser and 'Thalaivasal' Vijay - Their part was small but I liked T Vijay's matured role as Swarnalatha's soothing husband
3. Comedy - There's nothing as comedy in this movie but I could only smile rather than laugh when the Annapoorna part comes in the form of a cow :)
4. Romance - Romance was like a sprinkled water in a huge bucket. Just a hug, a cycle ride tells it all between Abhi and Pinki
5. A bit annoying - Munna's behaviour and Pinki's mom's modern look
6. My takeaway - You gotta have some sort of inspiration in life to do something different that you like
7. My rating - 4.8 stars out of 5

And, do you know what movie am I talking about? Here's the poster:

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At April 6, 2009 at 5:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah the songs of 'Morning Raga' are so good. I used to hear few songs every morning... only this week i cudn't hear... I thot of watching the movie.. bt i cudn't... i will watch now da..

- Lavanya

 
At April 6, 2009 at 5:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

enna kodumai ithu ... u r mean ..u wrote only one line - that too ill abt priyanka - i would have written an entire article on perizad

- Mohan

 
At April 6, 2009 at 5:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did a lil google & am surprised to see that there are 14 songs/sound tracks in this movie.. unbelievable for a 110 min movie (approx 1.5 hr movie). Are there really so many songs??

Now, am waiting to watch this movie…:)

- SriB

 
At April 6, 2009 at 5:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI – All songs are sung by Bombay Jayashree… No wonder such amazing control and range in the voice…

- Kasturi

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home