Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Here's P.O.

Paadum Office - After a break, it's back! It brought me those pleasant memories that I had 3 years back. It was not called Paadum Office earlier. It was called as a corporate music show and I dont think it was shown on TV.

It was the first time I saw it in the newspaper and heard it from the HR folks at my office inviting people to join. Being a music lover and having a close friend who is good at singing, I insisted him to try although he was reluctant. There was no doubt about his great singing capability but he was hesitating because he had stage fear. But I dont want to see someone's potential being wasted and hence somehow forced him to take part.

From the day he enrolled in the competition, we used to discuss about the songs to choose and what would be the advantages/disadvantages of rendering such songs. Finally, he chose 'Unakena Mela Nindral' from Simla Special. I was there with him on the preliminary round encouraging him. Fortunately or Unfortunately, that song was sung by someone who went before him and he was tensed. He gave me this magical wand and said 'Whatever comes, it's your choice now; Tell me one song that I should sing'. I was happy that he trusted my choices and at the same time, did not want to choose a song that may throw him out of the competition.

I gave reasons for choosing this song - 'Nenjankootil' from Dishyum. 1. I was damn sure that noone there will attempt that song 2. It did not have lot of aalaps or hard sangadhis or the fast breathtaking notes 3. I have heard him singing that before and I liked it. He agreed and sang that on stage when his turn came. He was nervous at the first few lines of Pallavi but rendered it very beautifully till the end.

When he came back from the stage, he asked me if he did it well and if he will get selected for which I said 'I dont know, but I liked it except the first few lines'. He was confident that he will get into the top 10 out of 93 contestants. And before they announce the results, I had to leave to meet another set of friends. After an hour, he called me and said he got into the top 10 to face the finals. Got this details from him that the judges said 'Choosing an easy song and rendering it great is much better than choosing a difficult song and trying to prove yourself but failing badly'. His first try was worth it and happy, we were!!!

And here is one of the rendition from this friend of mine (Sriram). I am dedicating this post to him and his wife Sowmya...Un song Unakke Sriram :))



Kanava... | Music Codes

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home