Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Varaprasadham :)

I've been waiting to write this blog for few days. Sometimes when I listen to some songs, I feel the divinty in the voice of the person who sings it. And when it comes in the form of a concert with SPB, Chitra and Vairamuthu, it can be definitely called as 'varaprasadam'. I did not know that there was such a concert until one of my friends told me last week. First of all, I should thank her for making me to listen to such a
wonderful concert. There are some portions which I loved and I am going to highlight those here. The content referring to this post may be old but their voices are still afresh :)

* Vairamuthu introduces SPB as 'Sareeramum Saareramum ilaikadha Baalu avargal'
* Also Vairamuthu quotes 'Puvikku arasanaga irundhirundhal Baaluvin idaiyalavukku thangathai thandhiruppen, aanal naano kaviarasanaga aiyvitten..Adhanal indha thanga changili mattum tharugiren'
* The uvamai of 'Thappa Thappa?' and 'Thappathapa' in Paadariyen Padipariyen - The way Vairamuthu explains it is great
* On the 'En Kaadhale' song, he says 'Baalu idhai paadirapdhai kaetal, innoru murai kadhalithu thorkalam polirukiradhu'...true it is :)
* How can someone emote in a song so much??? I always wonder how SPB does it with ease in any song, be it 'Pothi vacha maliga mottu'(when he says 'aaha..' with such a romantic touch) or 'En Kaadhale'(sings as if
he feels the pain of lost love) or 'Sangeetha Jaathi mullai' (as if he has lost his eyes and crave for his lady love)
* It was great to listen to songs like 'Kannamoochi Enada', 'Paadariyen Padipariyen', 'Andhi mazhai' rendered by Chitra. Although 15-20 yrs have passed since she sang these songs, there's a freshness always which is a gift
* Being SPB on the other side who is an improvisation mannan, Chitra couldn't control her laughter and she too tries to improvise and smiles like it did not come well but it did
* 'Vaana magal naanugiral, veru udai poonugiral' - Wat a lyrics!!!
* I have heard these lines of 'Pothi vacha' but never knew the inner meaning of it until Vairamuthu explained it...'Aathukulla nethu unnai nenachen, matha neram poga manja kulithen'...I thought whenever the heroine did not think of hero, she takes a shower...Wats der in it? ;) But actually it is: vekka neram and not matha neram :) When the heroine thinks of the hero, she may grow red because of the shyness; To hide it from the hero, she takes a tumeric shower :) [I know my translation is too poor but you have to adjust :)]

Although some of these songs were my favorites even before watching this concert, it has proved the worth of watching especially when Vairamuthu explained it. It is indeed a musical treat...A varaprasadam! I would highly suggest all the music lovers who had missed watching this concert, to watch and enjoy the beauty of such voices and lyrics :) Type in 'SPB Chitra concert' in youtube and there you are!!!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At May 7, 2009 at 7:34 AM , Blogger Ramyah said...

Hi, I'm new here. This is a wonderful post. I have always wondered on the same issue. SPB's voice is so divine that u can keep on listening to him and never feel bored of his voice. And yeah, he makes us to cry with his voice, makes us to feel in love and brings us to another world. keep writing n tc

 
At May 7, 2009 at 7:35 AM , Blogger Ramyah said...

Hi, I'm new here. This is a wonderful post. I have always wondered on the same issue. SPB's voice is so divine that u can keep on listening to him and never feel bored of his voice. And yeah, he makes us to cry with his voice, makes us to feel in love and brings us to another world. keep writing n tc

 
At May 7, 2009 at 10:28 AM , Blogger ApocalypsE said...

aiyo... en kaadhale is one of my all time favourites...

Another song from may matham, minnale it breaks me every time I listen to it...

Andhi mazhi is too good... i think you missed out en kanmani with multiple sivakumar sir in the video...

 
At May 7, 2009 at 5:02 PM , Blogger Raji said...

@ Ramyah: Yeah, u r rite...SPB's voice is indeed divine
@ ApocalypsE: Minnale just rips your heart...Tats my all time favorite...En kanmani - am thinking wat this song is? Its not flashing my mind :)

 
At May 8, 2009 at 1:03 AM , Blogger Danny said...

such a cool post :) will say its melodic(if the word exist) post...
fine, SPB sir is a leagend, he is VARAPRASADAM to India. Its not easy to highlight the voice backing lyrics and music since all these 3 (music, lyrics, voice) demands a song in India. But SPB sir is the one who holds the mood of most of his songs.
nilave va, enna satham intha neram, malzharey mounama, ilamayennum pungatru,kadhal rojavey wha.. he dont need the music to back and sakalakala vallavam would really make one to dance.He makes one to forget the music and lyrics... its not easy and He is great...

 
At May 8, 2009 at 6:02 AM , Blogger Raji said...

@Danny, The songs that you have listed are the ones that anyone will love to hear even after 20yrs...it's such a pleasure to listen to those :)

 
At May 8, 2009 at 7:33 AM , Blogger ApocalypsE said...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFqudr4Kv94

he he... you ll know the song now...

 
At May 8, 2009 at 10:55 AM , Anonymous Saranya said...

Thanks for sharing the info..I will watch it soon.
"Then maari inikkum kural"
Thats what comes to my mind wheneve I hear his voice.

 
At May 8, 2009 at 2:28 PM , Blogger Raji said...

@ ApocalypsE - Thanks for the youtube link... I've heard this song but this is the first time i am watching it :)
@ Saranya - Am sure you'll love it...do watch it...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home