Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The 'Englipish' speaking woman in me :)

When I look back @ it, I don't know whether I have a 'collar thookividum' feeling or a 'watz in it?' feeling but I wanted to write about this. During childhood, being in a English nursery or primary school dint make any difference to me when i was compared to a kid studying in a municipal or corporation school. I have never spoken Englipish words except for the English exams and preparation where my dad used to have a stick in his hands and I render all the spellings and pronunication in a jiffy and run away to play. This did not change even after I was put into the High School. The situation became worse being in an English medium Govt. School where I learnt the most coveted words like 'Eh bulla', 'Endi', 'Saniyane', 'Erumai', 'Naye' (All those words of honor) but stood out first in English exams (as well in Tamil too :)) Good that there was no spoken english or oral tests in Englipish, otherwise I would have been repeating the same class for years by failing in those. I was afraid when my dad put me in the most popular Matric school in town which had the significant number of Englipish speaking students but it was not so and although my coveted tamil words did not come out, Englipish words also did not. Then put my foot forward in College where speaking in Englipish (termed as peter vudrathu) was an offense amongst the student crowd, I did not even try, making that as a reason. There boomed a real problem with respect to Englipish talking when I was out of college. Used to cruise through all the aptitude exams easily but fail in the personal interviews where I would have to rehearse a sentence before putting it forward. And there I was waiting for few months before luck clicked my way to be in a bigger organisation. Everyone thought I was calm and hence I did not talk but I knew what that was. I had to rehearse atleast 10-12 times before I speak to anyone and sometimes I ended up like how a thikku-vai girl would be. Few people could not tolerate and asked me if I belonged to a Tamil medium school when I was shattered to pieces. There was a well wisher for me there who gave me an idea to start a Englipish development team and I came up with flying colors doing that. The same person who asked me if I was from a Tamil medium school came to me the very next year and said he cannot even come closer to my Englipish speaking skills (in a positive way though :)) And now here I am speaking with the nativites of US of the A with an accent (very rarely though) with ease. No hurdles, No rehearsals, No mutterings, No murmurs and here I am writing blogs in English. Wat can I call it? ;)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At November 13, 2008 at 1:46 AM , Blogger Roopa said...

Good one. Shows ur way of coming up in whatever u do.

 
At November 13, 2008 at 6:13 AM , Blogger Raji said...

Thanks Roops...I am honored :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home